On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 2:36 PM E. Madison Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:07 PM Randall <randallrath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > A couple of comments relating to my attempts to build Sage 8.6 on openSuse
> > Leap 15.0 system. (64 bit Intel Core X980s)
> >
> > 1. The fplll build failed due to non-shareable segments in the libqd file,
> > but I had to reinstall the libqd and libqd development files using yast2.
> > It is standard policy of openSuse to NOT include the development headers
> > even when the program might be installed. I have no idea where the previous
> > libqd came from but after reinstalling it, the Sage 8.6 make was able to
> > successfully build fplll and move on.
> >
> > 2. During build of linuxbox, during the config check, I noticed that the
> > script complained about tinyxml2 missing. Sure enough, I checked in yast2
> > and it had not been installed. What Sage needs is for all the prerequisite
> > libraries and compilers and linkers to be collated together, as a
> > pre-compile script checking for these dependencies can be done, and then
> > installed, before attempting to do the actual Sage x.y install. I realize
> > that this is a big task, but surely looking through all the build logs
> > might give some idea of what external libraries are needed.
>
> Hi Randall,
>
> Thank you for the report.  Unfortunately I don't really understand
> either of your points (which may be why no one responded before now
> either).  If you feel there is a bug somewhere please report it here
> or as a Trac ticket.
>
> Regarding linbox (which I think is what you meant by "linuxbox") the
> optional use of tinyxml2 appears to just be for compiling some
> benchmark tests that are not used at runtime, so it's acceptable for
> it to not be found.

https://repology.org/project/sagemath/versions
does not list openSuse

Thus I read this as a report on building from source, and the remark about libqd
as a remark about libgd, which conflicts with a system-provided libgd.
(I've just added libgd to the list on #27330).

I agree that building from source instructions should be improved.
Ideally, please open a trac ticket and post your documentation fix
there.

Thanks,
Dima