Hi David,

On 2019-03-09, David Roe <roed.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the right thing to do is to change that definition to the normal
> definition of equality of ideals, which we can implement by just checking
> that each generator is contained in the other ideal.

I see reasons why this is /not/ the right thing to do, at least not for each
instance of an ideal comparison resp. containment test.

The problem is that ideal containment and equality tests can be very expensive
(involving Gröbner basis computations), and thus it would be hardly feasible
to use ideals as, say, keys in dictionaries. Also, the hash of ideals would be
needed to be modified in an expensive way, as it ought to be compatible
with the equality test.

> We'll also need to
> improve ideals in ZZ['x'] a bit, since non-principal ideals don't implement
> containment checking:

It certainly is implemented --- just not by doing "p in I". You don't
want that you innocently ask "p in I", and then Sage is occupied with
the computation of a Gröbner basis for the next few hours. If you really
need a mathematically correct containment test and are aware that it may
be expensive, you can explicitly request it. But for many cases, a quick
and dirty mathematically wrong but computationally sound containment
test (or equality test for ideals) suffices.

Best regards,
Simon