On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 9:04:32 PM UTC+9, Simon King wrote:

> PS:
>
> On 2019-03-13, Simon King <simon...@uni-jena.de <javascript:>> wrote:
> > There are of course cases in which a default pickling mechanism makes
> > sense (think of UniqueRepresentation). However, I think that Map is
> > not such a case.
> >
> > Namely, a map is given by a domain, a codomain, and defining data. There
> > could of course be a default implementation of pickling, namely: Provide
> > a slot for the data (the domain and codomain are referenced anyway,
> > although some of the references are weak references).
>
> To be clearer: I do think that a default implementation (of course not
> in the category framework but in the base class) is *possible*. But I
> also think that it would not be reasonable.

Travis pointed out that for my case a default implementation of pickling is
defined in the base class of Map. I agree that implementation of pickling
is not a business of the category framework.

_test_pickling tests if loads(dumps(obj)) == obj. It is defined for all
sage object, and I guess any sage object is expected to pass the test. In
my original post, the code did not implement __eq__, and hence the
_test_pickling fails. I am perfectly fine with this. There is no problem
here.