> In https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/27444 we are exposing the parallel
> versions (using OpenMP) of
> fflas-ffpack routines used in SageMath. This is only about multicore
> parallelism, based on OpenMP.
>
> +1 to having multicore linear algebra in Sage. I have hacked together some
things in the past to do computations that would take too long serially,
but they were really ugly, and I would prefer not to have to do them again.

> We would like to discuss on the best design to expose them to the end
> user:
>
> 1. Should the default behaviour be sequential or parallel ?

I think it should follow SAGE_NUM_THREADS as a default. This is something
that you have to know at least a little bit of what you are doing to set
it. Moreover, if you are doing this for building/testing, then you would
want to do the same for computations.

> 2. If the default is parallel, how many cores should be used by default? I
> guess the default should
> be whatever value openmp_get_numthreads() returns, which is usually the
> number of cores, however, in
> most systems where hyperthreading is enabled, this means that we will use
> twice as many cores as the
> number of real cores, which will slow down the computation.

IMO, same as the above: Start with SAGE_NUM_THREADS and allow the user to
modify it accordingly.

> 3. What interface do we want for the sage user who wants to
>
>    3a switch between sequential and parallel,
>
>    3b specify the number of cores to be used ?
>
> Should there be some kind of environment variable containing such
> informations?

As Eric mentioned, I would expand upon Parallelism() as that would make a
good unique and natural point to have all of this data.

Best,
Travis