Dear Sage developer community,

As of Sage 8.8.beta4, the global function field code of the ticket #22982
has finally landed all in Sage. Following the tradition of giving a report
when a major piece of new functionality is added to Sage, I will now
briefly recall what we achieved and thank the people who contributed to it.

During my sabbatical year spanning from 2016 to 2017, I wrote the initial
code for computations with global function fields. This was what I had
wanted to do all the time since I realized Magma is not a suitable platform
for distributing my research work in algorithmic coding theory. So I
decided to devote the sabbatical year for the mission. I thank Maria
Bras-Amoros for hosting me during the year and for putting up with me, as a
side effect,  neglecting the duty of collaborating with her for
mathematical research.

In 2017, I created the ticket #22982 and pushed the whole code. The code
was just sitting there for long time waiting for a reviewer, until Johan
came up and gave advices on what I should do if I wanted the monstrously
big code ever get reviewed. I thank Johan for the valuable advices.

Following Johan's advice, I split the code into pieces and created several
child tickets. Then finally a little more than a year ago, Travis showed up
and started reviewing the tickets. During this process, he gave lots of
useful comments on the code and elevated the quality of the code
substantially. He is a great reviewer. I thank him very much!

And now here is the global function field machinery in your Sage. What is
to do with it?

1. It is very, but not terribly, slow compared with Magma. One may want to
improve the speed.

2. One may want to extend the code for function fields over other fields
than finite fields. I myself do not have a plan to do this.

3. I am writing code for computations with integral curves over finite
fields using the global function field machinery.

4. I wrote code (this is what I dreamed of since I first heard of Sage in
2006)  for my decoding algorithm for AG codes using the global function
field machinery. I am supposed to give a short talk on this topic at SIAM
2019 in July.

This is it. Thank you for your attention!

Kwankyu

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/2e56fa30-007b-4750-9b89-6a666dba6377%40googlegroups.com.