On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 3:53 PM Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> iconv is only installed on Cygwin anyway (apart from surely dead HP
> port, and fallen behind Solaris port,
> which probably no longer needs it anyway).
> So this is a red herring one way or another.

Wow, I haven't worried too much about iconv up to this point as it's a
rather small library and quick to build.

But indeed it's only even installed on Cygwin, HP-UX, and Solaris.
And I strongly doubt it's needed for Cygwin anymore (if it ever was).
Iconv comes standard in Cygwin installations, and the version is
likely quite a bit more recent than 9 years ago when it was first
added as a package for Sage.

I'll also see about adding an spkg-configure.m4 for iconv.  We can
keep the package for now for HP-UX and Solaris in case anyone wants to
pick up work on those ports again.

As for removing it from the list of dependencies for libgd I'm not
sure enough to give a confident answer.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAOTD34YkEWRvRxa2OOVjNn00DpNRp0QXbtQv_1q5Xrp3TQmjOw%40mail.gmail.com.