If you find yourself typing show() all the time you probably want to change
the displayhook to typeset stuff, i.e.  you want "%display typeset" in the
notebook or on the command line:

sage: m = random_matrix(ZZ, 3)
sage: m
[12 -5  6]
[ 1 -1  1]
[-1  2  1]
sage: %display unicode_art
sage: m
⎛12 -5  6⎞
⎜ 1 -1  1⎟
⎝-1  2  1⎠

In general, I would lean more on the side of reasonable defaults (e.g. why
is %display typeset not the default in the notebook, its easier for power
users to turn it off than for novices to turn it on) than a proliferation
of more display-related methods.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/219017e2-ba73-4d5a-b727-c8d2b3f9076d%40googlegroups.com.