On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 11:46 PM darwin doppelganger <danp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I responded to a similar posting with a link to directions for removing
> anaconda. It seems to have worked just fine, but Dima's suggestion sounds
> easier.

One thing I've noticed a lot of Anaconda users don't realize or
understand, especially on OSX, is that when you install Anaconda it
gives you the option (enabled by default I think), to automatically
add Anaconda's bin/ to their PATH.  It does this by actually editing
their .profile (I believe) and adding some lines to manipulate the
PATH.  Most people when they install Anaconda don't realize it's doing
this.

I have no problem with that in principle, as it's certainly a
convenience if you plan on making Anaconda your primary Python
distribution.  But I feel like more of than not it creates confusion,
as users often have multiple Python distributions (including Homebrew)
on their systems and get confused about which one the should be using.
This extends beyond Python too, now that Anaconda has become a more
generic packaging solution.

I think the key here is not "remove Anaconda" itself, but just not
allow it to add itself to your PATH if you don't plan on using it
every day, and instead only manually activate the Anaconda environment
when you do explicitly plan to use it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAOTD34boNHXhwPiq-gsuUpHuBsv6LA9sCGVWVFx4w9BA7mBv9w%40mail.gmail.com.