Hi!

At #28414, I'm trying to upgrade my group cohomology package so that it
works both on sage-with-py2 and sage-with-py3.

On the laptop where I work on the new package version (I didn't publish
the code yet), I have a py2 and a py3 installation of Sage. To build the
package without the hassle of recompiling everything, I build the
development version of my package by opening a Sage shell in the
package's src folder, and then run
   sage -python setup.py build
   sage -pip install . --upgrade

However, when I do the above in both versions of Sage (py2 and py3),
then in the py2 version strange things happen. Namely: In some Cython
modules of my package, one has str==unicode, which means that an
explicit cast to str results in a unicode, which results in errors when
passing it to functions from other modules expecting a str.

Dima said on the ticket that he met similar confusions about str and
unicode in the past, and he had the impression that it had to do with
both Sage versions sharing the same $DOT_SAGE folder. However, the
problem persists when I remove $DOT_SAGE.

Although `sage -python setup.py build` does create the .so files in
different folders for different python versions (namely
build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7 and build/temp.linux-x86_64-3.7), it creates
the .c files in THE SAME directory (namely where it finds the corresponding
.pyx files).

My theory is that the confusion is caused by having the .c files in the
same directory. But a duckduckgo search didn't tell me how to prescribe
a different directory for the .c files (resp. the solutions I found,
such as "python setup.py build --build-lib <build directory>" didn't
seem to work).

Can you tell me how to prescribe a folder for the .c files?

Best regards,
Simon