On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 6:26 PM Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:

> If sdh_make_install and sdh_pip_install can share a single json file,
> then there would be no need to split the package. I.e., the question is
> whether "sdh_pip_install" will override the json file created by
> "sdh_make_install", or whether it will append to it.

Just to clarify, once more (and please reread my earlier message in
this thread regarding what a "DESTDIR install" is and why that is
used), these commands do not write *anything* to any JSON file.

Their purpose is to wrap commands like "make" and "pip" with
additional flags that are needed for building/installing Sage SPKGs.
In the case of sdh_make_install, for example, as you can see in its
definition [1].  This allows sage-spkg, the script that actually
handles building/installing SPKGs, to look in the $SAGE_DESTDIR
directory that is created as a temporary installation root for the
package, and generate a list of files that is installed by the package
[2].  This happens after the package's spkg-install script has been
run, so this is entirely agnostic as to how the files got into
$SAGE_DESTDIR, whether it was via some `make install`, `pip install`,
`install`, `cp`, or some arbitrary combination of all of the above and
more.

I do believe this should be better documented and I don't appreciate
being told "read the code" anymore than anyone else does.  But as
there is a lack of documentation currently that's the best thing one
can do rather than speculate.

Best,
Erik

[1]