SageMath uses a few packages that appear to have been abandoned
upstream. The most recent example I have in mind is Symmetrica:

  http://www.algorithm.uni-bayreuth.de/en/research/SYMMETRICA/

The package's website (symmetrica.de) and contact address are both dead.
The upstream contact (Axel Kohnert) listed in SPKG.txt also has a dead
email address on the Bayreuth site.

Since the last release was over a decade ago, it contains a lot of old
bugs, and we've been patching it ourselves over the years. So has
everyone that ships it: Gentoo[0], Arch[1], Debian[2], Conda[3],
Fedora[4], etc.

At some point, it becomes a waste of time to duplicate this effort. And
presumably, SageMath is the only modern consumer of the library. What do
people think about adopting these sorts of packages under the SageMath
umbrella (on Github?) where we can maintain them properly and make new
releases?

My end-game here is that I would like to add Symmetrica to Gentoo, since
Dima was kind enough to add support for a system copy in Trac #28208.
But I don't want to be in the business of adding dead software to the
main repository, or of patching a tarball from 2008 myself for eternity.

[0]
https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/tree/master/sci-libs/symmetrica/files

[1]
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/symmetrica