On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 10:10:11 AM UTC+9, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

> On 2/14/20 7:55 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> >
> > But... is that the distinction that we want to make? I'm skeptical that
> > the person who wrote that paragraph in the developer's guide had the
> > 1995 definition of "factory" in mind. I actually like this convention,
> > but it's a bit subtle.
> >

> ...and confusing as hell to users, since it's based on an implementation
> detail. I tried to write up a paragraph of documentation for this
> convention and that was enough to convince me it's a bad idea.

It would also be mildly confusing to allow both of these

    from sage.coding.punctured_code import PuncturedCode
    PuncturedCode(...)

and

    codes.punctured_code(...)

So your suggestion would imply that we should discourage users from using
the former style. Then that we don't have

R.<x> = rings.polynomial_ring(QQ)

but only

R.<x> = PolynomialRing(QQ)

would confuse some users.