I consider this as a bug, too. My guess is, that it comes from the Singular
interface:

sage: R.<x,y> = PolynomialRing(QQ, order='negdeglex')
sage: f = 1 + x
sage: I = R.ideal(x^2)
sage: import sage.libs.singular.function_factory
sage: reduce = sage.libs.singular.function_factory.ff.reduce
sage: reduce(f, I)
1

but:

                     SINGULAR                                 /  Development
 A Computer Algebra System for Polynomial Computations       /   version 4.1
.1
                                                           0<
 by: W. Decker, G.-M. Greuel, G. Pfister, H. Schoenemann     \   Feb 2018
FB Mathematik der Universitaet, D-67653 Kaiserslautern        \
> ring r = 0,(x, y),lp;
> poly f,g = 1+x, x^2;
> ideal I = (g);
> reduce(f,I);
x+1

Note, that in Sage f.reduce(I) returns 1, as well, even though is not
implemented as above, but using the Singular kernel function kNF. Anyway,
this seems to be a task for Singular experts.