Hi Travis,
yes, that is exactly what I want to do. I want to compute multiplicative
sequences from arbitrary formal power series, which has use in geometry.
However, in that paper, they compare two different approaches. And even the
general (slower) approach (elimination) seems to be faster than Sage's
algorithm. Let me show you what I have tried so far.

sage: n = 12
sage: f = x / (1-exp(-x))
sage: Sym = SymmetricFunctions(QQ)
sage: P = PolynomialRing(QQ, 'x', n)
sage: seq = prod(f.subs({f.default_variable(): var}) for var in P.gens())
sage: inp = [(var, 0) for var in P.gens()]
sage: seq_taylor = seq.taylor(*inp, n // 2)
sage: Sym.e().from_polynomial(P(seq_taylor))

This code is to compute Todd numbers up the the 6th degree and takes hours
of computation. Did I do use symmetric functions wrong here?

Regards
Michael