On 5/3/20 8:09 PM, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
> I propose the following goal for Sage 9.3.
>
> Modularize sagelib so that individual parts of it can be built and run
> with a much smaller set of libraries.

A noble goal, but it's going to be difficult given the widespread use of
lazy_import to create circular references. We're probably looking at a
lot of refactoring before any useful modules can be excised. But that
doesn't mean it's not worth trying.

A good first step might be to ban new circular imports, but that means
that e.g. parent structures and their element classes would need to be
defined in the same files for things like

  class FooElement(...):
      pass

  class Foo(...):
      Element = FooElement

to work. And I'm sure that's not the only widespread antipattern that
will be uncovered.