In sage-on-gentoo and some other distros (I think arch) I completely ignore
the meta packaging of sage. Every single packages is a system package.
and sage itself is built as a normal python package.
Because of problems with maintaining python2 compatibility, and keeping
around some packages compatible with python like sphinx is problematic,
I am now offering sage-9.1.rc2 as the default for sage-on-gentoo.
Details of the build and patches at
https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/tree/master/sci-mathematics/sage

François