Did you follow the suggestion at the end of running 'configure'?

# To automatically take care of homebrew messages regarding
# keg-only packages for the current shell session:
  $ source /Applications/sage/.homebrew-build-env

The plan, by the way, is to eventually require running `./configure` separately
before running `make`, so that messages like this are more prominent.