On 01/15/2014 10:53 PM, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
On 2014-01-15 15:48, Volker Braun wrote:
Its in the man page.
I got that, I'm just saying that my version doesn't state that in the
man page. It simply has

        --no-same-permissions
               apply user's umask when extracting files instead of
recorded permissions

(and nothing about what is the default)

Are you on Gentoo? It looks like a bug in Gentoo. The man page for tar-1.26 is ${FILESDIR}/tar.1 (that is, not from upstream tar) and it does not contain that string. The man page for tar-1.27 is ${FILESDIR}/tar.1-1.27 and it contains the string. I looked at the info page of tar and it has the sentence about default users in it (also, the info page comes from the upstream tar package).