> > Why would that cause symbols not to be defined?
> >
> > But this must be it - the flint/src/fq_nmod_mat does indeed not have a
> > profile/ directory so that causes this to happen.   Somehow this causes
> > problems in creating the dylib, but I don't understand all that.
>
> "I'm not convinced."^TM
>
> In your original post, the linker issued a "file not found" error (when
> trying to link mwrank), and your 'nm' output showed that 1) the file was
> "there" (but probably only at some later point), 2) the two "unresolved"
> symbols (i.e., functions) were indeed defined ("T") in that dylib
> (local/lib/libflint.dylib).

Yeah, that was weird.  But I don't know enough about symbols and linking to
have said this.  Why were other listings "U"?  I will say that the file
wasn't there at a later point - the build stops at that point.

> So this *might* be a Darwin linker issue (probably missing '-rpath' when
> building the ec dylib? need to set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH?), since mwrank
> only *indirectly* depends on FLINT and hence libflint doesn't [have to]
> appear on the linker command line.  AFAIK the Darwin linker usually
> records *absolute* paths of needed shared libraries, and if they're not
> there (e.g. because they moved), it tries to find them in the default
> (just system?) folders.  Unfortunately your 'ld' didn't tell where it
> was searching for the allegedly missing library.

Hmm, that is useful, though I don't know how to use this information!

> One should perhaps also inspect the logs where libec.dylib got built.

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/kcrisman/eclib-20140128.log

There are a few warnings about certain directories from the gcc build
directory not existing (which makes sense, since it would have been removed
after gcc was built), including on the mwrank part with libtool.  Maybe
this is where the problem starts?