Hi

So the buildslaves we host did not have libssl-dev installed. This has now
been fixed. From sage 6.9 the debs in the PPA will support SSL, if you do

sudo sage -pip install pyopenssl

(I'm looking into adding a user sagemath and changing all files in
/usr/lib/sagemath to be owned by that user, so the command could change to
su - sagemath -c "sage -pip install pyopenssl"
in future to prevent compiling packages as root)

In the meantime on sagemath-upstream-binary-full 6.8 from the PPA, I think
this will work

sudo -Es
sage -f python
cd /usr/lib/sagemath/