Aha !

I *had* problems previously with Sage's libtinfo*, which led bash to spill
a lot of warnings about "missing version information"). The conclusion of this
thread
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/sage-support/libtinfo/sage-support/uNcv2g0QSb4/GSSrS2K_DgAJ>

in sage-support was that it was a collision between Sage's and system's
(Debian testing on amd64) libraries.

I found that moving local/lib/libtinfo* out of the way allowed me to run
Sage without those pesky warnings.

Nathaan, could you try to move these libraries out of the way and try to
install R ?

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier