This seems to be the problem:
 checking unordered_map usability... no
 checking unordered_map presence... yes
 configure: WARNING: unordered_map: present but cannot be compiled
 configure: WARNING: unordered_map:     check for missing prerequisite
headers?
 configure: WARNING: unordered_map: see the Autoconf documentation
 configure: WARNING: unordered_map:     section "Present But Cannot Be
Compiled"
 configure: WARNING: unordered_map: proceeding with the compiler's result

The configure script tests for C++11's unordered_map, which succeeds if
using GCC 6. Then it tries to use it later, which of course fails because
brial enforces C++98. By exporting -std=gnu++98 before running configure,
the test fails so it falls back to boost's unordered_map, and the builds
finishes correctly.