I used to forbid gmpy from sage-on-gentoo installs. Because prior
to sympy 1.0 (ok may be also the latest 0.7) the backend would
interfere with the sage backend and you couldn’t properly disable
sage or gmpy. I thought that was definitely fixed in sympy.
At least I didn’t get any more report after I allowed it again.

François