On 02/23/2017 05:57 AM, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
> Sorry, but I do not like your idea. I don't feel like being forced to run
>
> ./configure --with-gcc --with-zlib --with-mpir --with-r --with-glpk
> --with-git --with-ppl --with-pari --with-libgap ... # 80 packages more
>
> just because I don't have those packages on my system.

This is only tangentially related, but usually the "--with-foo" flag
means "I want to enable support for foo, and you figure out how to do
it." There is almost always an accompanying "--without-foo" option, that
disables the support entirely. Which one is enabled by default is up to
the author.

Closely related is "--with-foo=/path/to/foo", which means "I want to use
THIS COPY of foo."

It should be possible to get this right:

  1. The default for most flags should be that they're enabled. Most
     of our packages are required unconditionally; the only question
     is whether or not to use the system copy.

  2. If the user passes --with-foo=/path/to/foo, then either that copy
     should be used, or an error should be thrown.

  3. The default behavior of --with-foo (which is enabled by default)
     is up in the air:

     a. We could try the system copy first, and fall back to the bundled
        copy. I think this is probably what most users want; however it
        might preclude an easy way to force sage to build all bundled
        packages and use them.

     b. We could default to the bundled version, and require users to
        pass --with-foo=/path/to/foo a million times. For distribution
        packages, it will be done once, by somebody else. Great. But
        for sage developers it could get annoying: I don't know where
        the million packages on my machine are installed, so it would
        be rather tedious to figure out all of the --with-foo=... flags.

I would lean towards (3a) as the default behavior, and then use Dima's
suggestion to let developers build a completely-bundled install.