Hi,

I'd like to get some information.

On 2018-02-09, François Bissey <frp.bis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9/02/2018, at 23:03, Ralf Stephan <gtrw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So how to use clang on Linux?

*Why* to use clang in the first place? I am not familiar with it, so I'd
appreciate if you could summarise its advantages and disadvantages.

What I found by my own search: clang's machine code generation is faster than
gcc's. However: Does that also result in faster programs, or just in less
build time? Thanks to ccache, the time to build Sage doesn't matter so much
to me any longer. But I do care about the speed of the resulting programs.

Here are reports that with clang things won't work in different ways
(e.g., IIUC, segfaults in linbox on openSuse). Does that mean clang is
buggy resp. not mature enough, or does that mean clang uncovers real
bugs that are silently ignored by gcc?

And if I want to give it a try: Currently I have a SageMath installation
compiled with gcc. Does it suffice to "make clean" before starting
re-installation of SageMath with clang? Or "make distclean"?

Best regards,
Simon