Finally it turns out for a major Linux distro build with clang no
other flags than CC=clang CXX=clang++ are needed, and the #24696 ticket
merged. clang-3.8 will result in a crash in linbox (#24701, #24716) so
clang-4 is recommended because there are problems with clang-5 as reported
in #24704 and #24712.