On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 2:42 PM E. Madison Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:14 PM Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 2:03 PM E. Madison Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > That really depends on the change in question. Oftentimes they're
> > > quite discrete.  It only becomes a mess when you have to do lots of
> > > AC_REQUIREs and thus things get reordered in the configure script.
> > >
> > > That is a problem for us right now since we're doing a lot of
> > > heavy-lifting on configure.  Once a lot of that is out of the way it
> > > will calm down a bit.
> >
> > given the speed things at present move on #27330, it can easily take a
> > year or two.
> > And still, as we shift more into using external libraries, there is
> > going to be more tweaking of
> > the configure package than in the olden days...
>
> Absolutely; which is maybe a good reason to just include the configure
> script in the repository.

as well as all the stuff in config/ and build/make/Makefile-auto.in
so it's more than just one file.

> True, that would not fix all the merge
> issues you're struggling with, but on some level that is almost
> unavoidable, at least when testing/building on systems that are not
> able to run autoconf smoothly.  A more complex workaround involving a
> separate build system just for autoconf is probably not worth the
> effort compared to that one minor concession.

it's a not a workaround - the current release process is a huge
bottleneck for #27330
and it is simply buggy, as merging new/updated spkg-configure.m4 files and
stuff in m4/ without updatng configure is error-prone.

Having this in place would simplify things and make them more robust.
If merging into WIP happens on a local  box (I don't recall how Volker does it),
and then the result is pushed to bots (or pulled by them)
I really do not see a reason for it not being in place, it's totally
trivial to implement.

If the merging happens on github/lab, it is still not hard to put some
commit hooks/TravisCI calls/whatever into
place to make it happen.

All this can be also made to create a configure tarball and push it somewhere.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-release/CAAWYfq0HaPo3CHigqZdWVcOM715evPw89ujOYVRBZSq8bATr2Q%40mail.gmail.com.