You shouldn't need two copies. It is more like a dependency issue.
sage/matrix/matrix_rational_dense.so (and may be other) should be
re-built during the incremental build but isn’t/aren't.
Touching the relevant .pyx file and using `./sage -b` should fix it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-release/70759CA1-44D0-409F-90F4-A2A4D95EEFED%40gmail.com.