I admit I haven't paid enough attention to the py3 switch on sage-devel,
but this still surprised me, based on the wording
at https://wiki.sagemath.org/Python3-compatible%20code  I suppose that when
the py3 switch for default is thrown, we should make sure to have a special
request for testing from the whole community to make sure we have no weird
regressions on py2 until after 9.1 (or that is what the Wiki currently
says).

$ ./sage -v

SageMath version 9.0.beta4, Release Date: 2019-11-02

$ ./sage -python

Python 2.7.15 (default, Nov  6 2019, 12:35:23)

[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 7.3.0 (clang-703.0.31)] on darwin