On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 4:35 PM Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 11:28 PM William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Great idea. Thanks Dima!

>>> I found https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/23712 which is a 2-year old

> by the way, it would be great to know if our usual "install as many system
> packages as ./configure advises
> at the end" scheme works well on aarch64, don't stop at tachyon please.

Good idea, definitely.

Is there an official Dockerfile for building Sage these days somewhere?
I'm using one that I found years ago from @ebray, and all that
advertisement about the fantastic support for system-wide packages (which I
forgot about) is hidden behind automation. [searches...]. Yes, there is:

https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/develop/docker/Dockerfile

That's a pretty enormous Dockerfile, and I imagine it solves many
subtle problems.    A cursory glance suggests that it installs a minimal
collection of system-wide packages.  Maybe somebody should try what you
just suggested (modify it to depend on system packages) starting with that
Dockerfile too, to see how it goes (or as a different CI test)...

William

--
William (http://wstein.org)