Thanks for the suggestions!

I have found the problem, although I cannot begin to explain it.  Many of
the libraries in sage/local targeted x86_64 even though they were built on
an M1 system.  Executables and libraries in the venv targeted the correct
arm64 architecture.  I can only guess that there was some very weird
environment in place when I did the build.  Anyway, rebuilding after make
distclean seems to be working correctly.  So this thread can now be
ignored.  Thanks.

- Marc