On February 6, 2007 10:38 AM Timothy Clemans wrote:

> Is there a way to get your DNS to make a subdomain like
> notebook1.sage.math.washington.edu/sage?
>
> On 2/6/07, William Stein wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I simply don't know how to run the notebook
> > through port 80 with apache yet.  Also, two professional
> > sysadmins tried quite hard to figure this out (without
> > changing how the notebook works), and neither figured it out.
> >   Figuring out how to do this is important to me, but it's
> > not so trivial as you might think.  It will likely require
> > rewriting a bunch of the notebook's code itself.

William,

If you can establish an alias for your server such as

  notebook.sage.math.washington.edu

which simply maps to the same ip address as

  sage.math.washington.edu

i.e. an alias for the machine name, then setting up a proxy
using Apache in the same way that it is done at

  http://sage-notebook.axiom-developer.org

is very easy. What is hard is trying to make a url like

  http://sage.math.washington.edu/notebook

work the same way. Normally this also would be possible but
some coding in the notebook itself gets in the way.

Why not just ask your network administration to add an alias
for you?

Regards,
Bill Page.