On 4/3/07, Timothy Clemans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> sagenb.com and sagenb.org are public servers
> There should be enough security soon that they should be appropriate
> for your class soon.

No -- these are not appropriate for a class, since they could easily go down for
a number of reasons, and they aren't that robust.  They are only meant for
people to do some temporary testing sharing of SAGE worksheets -- but shouldn't
be the main way a person makes SAGE available to a class.

> On 4/3/07, Marshall Hampton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I would like students in a class to have access to a sage notebook
> > server.  My current setup is: I've created the most locked-down user I
> > can in OS X, and from that account (lets call it 'weakuser'), I
> > started up a notebook with a username and password; the notebook files
> > are located at something like /Users/weakuser/NotebookName.  I was
> > thinking of giving the username and password for the notebook to my
> > students (these would be different from guest and its password).
> >
> > My question is: is there anything else I can easily do to make this
> > secure?   I use the server machine as a  desktop a lot, but I back up
> > my work every day.  Is this setup reasonably secure?

It is just as secure as giving out a guest login/password to your machine
for logging into that account, i.e., it's back to the question of how secure
OS X itself is against a local exploit, which is I guess a standard question.
In fact, you may want to have a guest account for your students, to allow
students with ssh to connect and use the command-line version of SAGE,
which some might like.

Regarding how you actually start the notebook server, I use this script (with
the notebook line having no line break):

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ more notebook.py
from sage.all import *
notebook(port=8101, address="sage.math.washington.edu", jsmath=True,
color='gmail', restart_on_crash=True, username="", password="",
auto_restart=800)

---

Then to actually start the server, I type
    sage notebook.py

Note that auto_restart=800 line, which will completely restart the
notebook server
every 800 seconds -- this prevents people accidentally (or on purpose) running
long-running calculations, which would slow down the machine for your use or
other people's use, and helps defend against memory leaks.

 -- William