On Wednesday 30 May 2007 15:27, William Stein wrote:
> Now *that* is a crystal clear suggestion.   This would be trivial to
> implement. Here's the current situation.
> In devel/sage/sage there are three files:  all.py, all_cmdline.py, and
> all_notebook.py
> When you do "from sage.all import *" everything in all is important, but
> nothing in all_cmdline and all_notebook.   When you run the SAGE command
> line (IPython), you get all_cmdline.py, which includes all.py and could
> include other things (it currently doesn't).  Likewise, when you run
> all_notebook, only all_notebook.py
> is imported.

Oh, excellent, I hadn't realized all that.  That really is the crux of my
suggestion.

> So -- if you want to implement you suggestion, we just remove the import
> of predefined in calculus/all.py and put it in both all_cmdline.py and
> all_notebook.py.  That's it.

Would you take such a patch?  I'm not certain that we want all of
calculus/all.py moved out to all_cmdline.py and all_notebook.py.  I would be
inclined to only move out the single letter convenience variables.  I guess
we could make a calculus/all_cmdline.py and calculus/all_notebook.py or
something like that.

I suspect that of the N people on this list, there are about 2*N opinions
about what should be automatically defined in the command-line vs. what
should be automatically defined in a python script with "from sage.all import
*".  I don't think there is any one right opinion on all that.

--
Joel