On 8/10/07, Alec Mihailovs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Can you recommend an IDE that supports SAGE?  I like DrPython...but I
> > haven't been able to get it to run my SAGE programs (I'm running SAGE from
> > a virtual machine on my PC).  The Notebook interface lacks colored text
> > and auto-indent--features that can really smooth out the learning curve
> > for a beginner.
>
> Personally, I prefer IDLE, but I'm not sure whether Sage can run in it.

In Linux you can use IDLE with Sage already as follows (something similar
is probably true on OS X, at least under X windows).

(0) Try
sage: !idle
If you get
 "** IDLE can't import Tkinter.  Your Python may not be configured for Tk. **"
then read further.

(1) Make sure you've installed the tk devel package.    it's called
 tk8.4-dev under Ubuntu.    (Make sure the tk version is at least 8.3.)

(2) Make sure SAGE's Python has Tk support included.   It will
if you built Python yourself and already had tk8.0-dev installed.
Otherwise, you'll have to rebuild the Python interpreter included in SAGE:
  sage -i sage -f python-2.5.1.p3
Here I got the version number as the latest Python package
listed at SAGE_ROOT/spkg/installed.  One could also look at
  http://sagemath.org/packages/standard/

(3) To start IDLE, do
sage: !idle

I've attached a screenshot to this email.

 -- William