As part of the "Sage Programming For Newbies" I am writing, I put
together the following list of Sage functions that I thought newbies
would find useful:

http://206.21.94.60/tmp/functions_with_descriptions.txt

As I compiled this list of functions, it occurred to me that it would
be nice to have them organized by category in addition to having them
listed in alphabetical order.

As a first step towards creating a Sage documentation categorization
scheme, I started with the "Areas of Mathematics" page on wikipedia (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areas_of_mathematics ) and transformed it
into the following package-like format:

http://206.21.94.60/tmp/math_categories.txt

What is coming to mind is to use categories in this format as tags
that can be added to the Sage documentation.  Another kind of tag I
think would be useful is one that states whether something is at the
Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced level.

I spent hours manually scanning through the Sage documentation in
order to extract the above list of functions.  If a documentation
tagging system were in place, however, I think I could have written a
program that would have extracted these functions automatically.

Having presented the idea of categorizing Sage's documentation by
using tags, I have the following 2 questions:

1) What do people think of this idea?

2) What would the Trigonometry tag look like if it were added to the
math_categories.txt file?

Thanks,

Ted