Nikos Apostolakis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> If it is possible to reorder terms like you want using Maxima,
>> then it would be a trivial 2-liner to add this functionality to
>> Sage too.  If anybody knows how to re-arrange terms in
>> Maxima, please post a response.

[...]

> I also seem to remember that there is a global variable that
> disables all "simplifications" (including x^2 + y^2 --> y^2 +x^2)
> but I can't find it right now.

Sorry for replying to myself and so soon after my previous post.
The variable in question is "simp":

(%i9) simp:false;
(%o9)                                false
(%i10) x^2 + y^2;
                                             2    2
(%o10)                                      x  + y
(%i11) simp:true;
(%o11)                               true
(%i12) x^2 + y^2;
                                             2    2
(%o12)                                      y  + x

Nikos