Dear William,

you wrote:
> This question belongs in the cython or pyrex mailing lists,
> rather than sage-support, so I've forwarded it there.

After posting my question, i found an answer to my question in the
web:
Pyrex 0.9.6 provides conditional compilation. See
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python/Pyrex/version/Doc/Manual/basics.html#Conditional_Compilation

(However, i didn't succeed to make it work on some easy examples, so
it seems i need more information)

I do think that my question remains a question for sage, since "sage -
cython" apparently does not provide that new pyrex functionality. The
line
DEF VARI = "Value"
is accepted by pyrexc, but not by sage -cython.

Can you tell me the web address of the pyrex or cython mailin lists,
so that i can read answers?

Yours
   Simon