On Nov 20, 2007 9:07 PM, mabshoff
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Nov 21, 4:56 am, Alex Ghitza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Hi Alex,
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been playing with spaces of modular symbols over finite fields, and
> > I ran into two issues that seem to be separate (they're tickets #1231
> > and #1232 now):
> >
> > 1. doing
> >
> > ModularSymbols(1,8,0,GF(3)).simple_factors()

Unfortunately, the algorithm for computing simple factors doesn't even
make sense
over finite fields, since Hecke operators -- which are diagonalizable
over CC are often not diagonalizable over GF(p).

Instead, your best bet is to use the decomposition method, which
decomposes the space using Hecke operators T_p with p <= n
coprime to the level:

sage: M = ModularSymbols(1,8,0,GF(3))
sage: M.decomposition(3)  # n
[
Modular Symbols subspace of dimension 1 of Modular Symbols space of
dimension 2 for Gamma_0(1) of weight 8 with sign 0 over Finite Field
of size 3,
Modular Symbols subspace of dimension 1 of Modular Symbols space of
dimension 2 for Gamma_0(1) of weight 8 with sign 0 over Finite Field
of size 3
]

If you choose n large enough this will decompose as much as you're going to get
from Hecke operators.

I haven't used sage modular symbols at all in characteristic p yet, I
have to admit.

Also, you're right that this has nothing to do with reduction modulo a
maximal ideal
of the ring of integers not yet being implemented, since modular
symbols mod p in
sage are just the same algorithm but over F_p.   Note that in some
cases, especially
for p = 2,3, the dimension of modular symbols mod p can be larger than
the dimension
of the same space in characteristic 0.   It would be well worth adding
an option to
have the modular symbols mod p p be the reduction mod of the char 0
modular symbols,
so the dimension wouldn't go up.

 -- William

> > gives
> >
> > - ------------------------------------------------------------
> > Unhandled SIGSEGV: A segmentation fault occured in SAGE.
> > This probably occured because a *compiled* component
> > of SAGE has a bug in it (typically accessing invalid memory)
> > or is not properly wrapped with _sig_on, _sig_off.
> > You might want to run SAGE under gdb with 'sage -gdb' to debug this.
> > SAGE will now terminate (sorry).

Getting that is a bug in any case.

--
William Stein