After installing GhostScript via:

sudo apt-get install gs

Installing dvipng-1.8 yields the following error:

checking for kpse_set_progname in -lkpathsea... no
configure: error: cannot find/use libkpathsea
Error configuring dvipng.

real    0m2.757s
user    0m0.576s
sys     0m2.156s
sage: An error occurred while installing dvipng-1.8
Please email sage-devel http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel
explaining the problem and send the relevant part of
of /usr/local/sage/install.log.  Describe your computer, operating
system, etc.
If you want to try to fix the problem, yourself *don't* just cd to
/usr/local/sage/spkg/build/dvipng-1.8 and type 'make'.
Instead type "/usr/local/sage/sage -sh"
in order to set all environment variables correctly, then cd to
/usr/local/sage/spkg/build/dvipng-1.8
(When you are done debugging, you can type "exit" to leave the
subshell.)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$

Note that libkpathsea is in text-extra, but installing text-extra via:

sudo apt-get install tetex-extra

Still generates the error. It seems the libkpathsea library still
isn't recognized. According to

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/09/msg00015.html

libkpathsea wasn't designed as a shared library, has this changed?

Suggestions for getting dvipng-1.8 installed?

As a note, I upgraded the VMWare image from edgy to feisty using
update-manager-core as described here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

SAGE worked after I did this and sage -i update, so nothing broke
ostensibly. Perhaps the library references were affected?