On Dec 12, 2007 8:36 AM, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2007 7:48 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I need to use non-english characters (in comments) in Notebook
> > worksheet.
> > While working, they're shown w/o problem, but if I save ("download to
> > file") worksheet, then close
> > SAGE, then open again and load .sws file, sometimes (!) I see just
> > unicode codes (like %u4041)
> > instead of my chars.
> > Strange, but sometimes they're loaded correctly...
> > I'm using Sage v 2.8.13 (VMware) under winXP Pro.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> No, you are not missing something.
> More Sage is missing something in how that functionality
> was implemened.  You're probably one of the first ever Russian uses of
> Sage, and we have had very little testing of Unicode in Sage.
> Hopefully fixing the above is for developers just a
> matter of changing a few lines in
>
>  SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage/sage/server/noteboook
>
> that relate to loading and saving the file worksheet.txt.
> I've made this issue a trac ticket:
>
>    http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/1477

William,
To fix this issue you might 2 either or both of these two things:
1) in the notebooks header put:

2)  try doing:
     data_going_to_notebook = (some_text_data).encode("utf-8")
right before it goes into the twisted Response object's 'stream'

not sure if this is definitely the full fix,
but it's at least very related.

Alex