> Sage 2.9 has been released. It is available at
>
>            http://sagemath.org/download.html

So this built with no reported errors on my Mac Pro (Intel, 10.4.11).
However, make check reported one error:

sage -t  devel/sage-main/sage/stats/test.py
File "test.py", line 5:
    sage: import rpy
Exception raised:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/Users/craigcitro/sage-2.9/local/lib/python2.5/doctest.py",
line 1212, in __run
        compileflags, 1) in test.globs
      File "<doctest __main__.example_0[0]>", line 1, in <module>
        import rpy###line 5:
    sage: import rpy
    ImportError: No module named rpy
1 items had failures:
   1 of   1 in __main__.example_0
***Test Failed*** 1 failures.

Looking at the install.log, it turns out that rpy failed to build, but
this error wasn't propogated back to the r-2.6.1.p6 make process. So
there are two issues:

1) Why did rpy fail?
2) Should this stop the build of R, or at least inform the user more noticeably?

For (1), the answer was easy: the rpy setup.py uses "tail -1" for
"tail -n 1", which fails on some systems (namely mine). I'm running
the most current version of textutils:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/sage-2.9/spkg/standard]  $ tail --version
tail (textutils) 2.1
Written by Paul Rubin, David MacKenzie, Ian Lance Taylor, and Jim Meyering.

That's the most recent version according to the webpage, but the same
version is installed on sage.math, where tail -1 works just fine.
(This might have to do with the POSIX settings when tail was compiled?
I vaguely got this impression from the FAQ on the textutils webpage.)
So I'll report this upstream, but I suspect I should also add a patch
to the rpy-1.0.1.spkg we ship, because I doubt I'm the only one with
this issue. This is now trac ticket #1543, with a new rpy-1.0.1.spkg
attached (since there's no mercurial repository in the spkg).

2) I would assume that we should halt the build if rpy fails for any
reason; this is a simple 3-line fix in spkg-install, which I'm going
to post on trac right now. (...) It's trac ticket #1542, with the
simple patch attached.

-cc