Hello Bill,

sage: E = EllipticCurve('5077a'); E
Elliptic Curve defined by y^2 + y = x^3 - 7*x + 6 over Rational Field
sage: E?
Type:           EllipticCurve_rational_field
Base Class:     <class
'sage.schemes.elliptic_curves.ell_rational_field.EllipticCurve_rational_field'>
String Form:    Elliptic Curve defined by y^2 + y = x^3 - 7*x + 6 over
Rational Field
Namespace:      Interactive
Docstring:

        Elliptic curve over the Rational Field.

If you look at the base class, you can see what class your object
belongs to.  The Python code for that class is  in
$SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage-main/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/ell_rational_field.py
.  Another way to have found this is

sage: E.point_search?
Type:           instancemethod
Base Class:     <type 'instancemethod'>
String Form:    <bound method
EllipticCurve_rational_field.point_search of Elliptic Curve defined by
y^2 + y = x^3 - 7*x + 6 over Rational Field>
Namespace:      Interactive
File:
/opt/sage/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/ell_rational_field.py
Definition:     E.point_search(self, height_limit, verbose=True)

Finally, there is the search_src function that can be used to search
from within Sage.

sage: search_src('def point_search')
schemes/elliptic_curves/ell_rational_field.py:    def
point_search(self, height_limit, verbose=True):

If you want to play around with changing that code, I would make a new
branch by using "sage -clone ell".  Then, you can make changes to the
files in $SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage-ell/ .  To test them out, you can do
"sage -br ell" which will build them and run the 'ell' branch.  This
makes things easier when it comes time to upgrade since no changes
will have been made to the sage-main repository.  It also allows you
to isolate changes for submitting patches.  I will probably make a
blog post here shortly on my workflow for doing Sage development.

--Mike