On Dec 27, 2007 6:11 AM, Paul Zimmermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I got the error in subject while trying the new ECM().one_curve() command
> in sage-2.9. The problem might be due to the fact that I perform thousands of
> calls to ECM().one_curve(), and maybe pexpect does not correctly frees pty
> devices.

I'm glad you're stressing the use of ECM from sage.

> The problem can be reproduced with:
>
> $ sage < in552.sage >& log &
>
> where the file in552.sage, and the auxiliary files Primes.sage and
> aliquot.sage can be downloaded from http://www.loria.fr/~zimmerma/tmp/xxx
> (replace xxx by in552.sage, ...)

Please put the relevant files in your directory on sage.math or make it so
http://www.loria.fr/~zimmerma/tmp
is readable:
"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /~zimmerma/tmp/ on this server."

> The problem will occur after a few minutes.
>
> Any idea?

Try the code with this line from one_curve commented out:

        child.__del__ = nothing   # work around stupid exception ignored error

Also, is there a way to rewrite one_curve using popen instead of pexpect?

> Paul Zimmermann
>
> PS: I could not see a pointer to the SAGE FAQ from sagemath.org, neither
>     in Documentation, nor in Support

Good idea; I've added a link to the FAQ at the top of sagemath.org and also
under Documentation.

> PS2: the message "we were slashdotted" is now out-of-date...

Thanks.  Fixed.