On Jan 16, 12:40 am, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2008 3:00 PM, Georg Grafendorfer
>

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi Robert,
>
> > > 1. Is this a clean, from-source build of sage-2.9.3?
>
> > Yes, i tried it out on two different systems now, Athlon XP, and Core Duo,
> > both running on Debian Etch, and both show the same behaviour
>
> > > 2. What is the output of /usr/bin/env for you? Mine (Intel OS X
> > > 10.5.1) doesn't mention sage at all, although mysteriously things are
> > > working for me.
>
> > the  SAGE_ROOT directory is included in my path, i even defined a global
> > variable with this name, i.e.  SAGE_ROOT.

> > > For me, I get
> > > $ ./BMV.sage
> > > $
>
> > you response encouraged me to try out some more things, and if i change the
> > first line to
>
> > #!/usr/bin/env sage-python
> > instead of
>
> > #!/usr/bin/env sage -python
> >  (note that there is no space anymore) things work as excepted (at least
> > import sys and print "Hello World"), seems like my /usr/bin/env does not
> > like the space between (#!/usr/bin/env "sage -python" does not work either)
>
> > but however, using
>
> > #!/path/to/sage_root/sage-python
> > import sys
>
> > still does not work and shows the same strange "mouse behaviour" as
> > described in my original posting, on both systems!!
> >  no idea why the second one does not work on my systems!!
>
> > > However, when I run the sage itself, it looks like it's pointing at
> > > some weird version:
> > > $ /usr/bin/env sage
> > > | SAGE Version 2.9.2, Release Date: 2008-01-05                       |
> > > | Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
>
> > $/usr/bin/env sage
>
> > brings me to the sage prompt as expected
>
> > > Hopefully this helps, although I have a feeling this thread isn't
> > > over...
>
> > Anyway, at least i found a partial solution to carry on with, but it seems
> > as there are still some things to clarify, especially the mouse thing
> > concerning the import sys
>
> > Thank you very much,
> >  Georg
>
> I consider all this a bug, and it's definitely a problem on numerous _linux_
> systems.  This problem doesn't happen at all on OSX.  I've made it
>    http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/1789

I thought I have seen this before and the issue was a buggy env, i.e.

#!/usr/bin/env sage -python

while

#!/usr/bin/env sage

should work. There was a thread about this in one of the sage-* Google
groups. It boiled down to that env should work fine with multi
arguments while some buggy env can't handle it. Maybe we can add some
script that does the equivalent of "sage -python", maybe "local/bin/
sage-python" does that job, but I assume the env isn't set up
properly. In that case we should change the documentation since it has
been popping up over and over these days.

> William

Cheers,

Michael