William wrote:

> Until a month ago (-1)^(1/3) would have given -1.  This is the default
> behavior dictated by Maxima.  Then Paul Zimmerman complained
> (with a great argument) that this was stupid, and Mike Hansen changed
> the default Maxima behavior to what we currently have.  He did
> this by setting a variable when the symbolic arithmetic class starts maxima.
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/1425
>
> If you saw Paul Zimmerman's talk at Sage Days 6, you get the very
> strong impression that he's right about anything like this.

Hmmm, on the worksheet I posted the plot for this equation shows the
graph crossing the x axis around -1.5 but solve indicates this value
is 0.721124785153704 + 1.24902476648341*I.

So why is solve placing parentheses around the 3rd root it returns if
it evaluates into an imaginary value?

I ran into this issue while demonstrating the usefulness of the solve
function in front of a class of students.  That was quite 'fun' :-)

Ted