A variation of this, which would be useful in some elliptic curve
calculations, would be a function
RR(x).nearby_rational_whose_denominator_is_a_perfect_square().

For either problem, is there a better solution than going through the
continued fraction convergents until one is found which has the
required property?  I hope so, since as I wrote that I could see that
this would certainly fail on most inputs....

John

--
John Cremona