Dear all,

On Feb 5, 2008 10:23 AM, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2008 7:23 AM, Georg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > sage: Rational(0)^Rational(0)
> > <type 'exceptions.ArithmeticError'>       Traceback (most recent call
> > last)
> >
> > /home/georg/<ipython console> in <module>()
> >
> > /home/georg/rational.pyx in sage.rings.rational.Rational.__pow__()
> >
> > <type 'exceptions.ArithmeticError'>: 0^0 is undefined.
> >
> > should not be, or?
>
> Thanks for pointing this out:
>
>    http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/2057

I'm probably exposing my ignorance here, but should 0^0 be really
defined?  I understand that it might be helpful sometimes in
Taylor/Laurent series, but couldn't it give some other problems?
E.g.,

sage: lim(x^(1/log(x)),x=0,dir='above')
_2 = e

If one actually defines a function and sage tries to compute, can't it
spill out 1 if it gets 0^0, when it might not be the case...

If I am completely missing the point here, please forgive the noise...

Best,

Luis