William wrote:

> Does the user running sage have write permissions to
>
>     /opt/sage-2.10-debian32-i686-Linux/tmp?

No, but what confused me was when I executed optional_packages on the
public Sage server it gave a permission error on a slightly different
directory along with extra information in the error message:

----
Using SAGE Server http://www.sagemath.org//packages
http://www.sagemath.org//packages/optional/list -->
/usr/local/sage/tmp/list
[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/sage/tmp/list'

************************************************************************\
********

Error contacting http://www.sagemath.org//packages/optional/list. Try
using an alternative server.
For example, from the bash prompt try typing

   export SAGE_SERVER=http://sage.scipy.org/sage/

then try again.

********

Optional package list (shown above) appears to be currently not
available or corrupted (network error?).
([], [])
----

Thanks,

Ted