Looking at the repository, it seems as if I wrote these functions, but
I don't think that's right. Maybe this was one of the patches I merged
from Jason Grout, while his name wasn't getting on the changesets. I
seem to remember Emily Kirkman working on path functions, also. I'm
not sure what the origin of this code is, but the fact that it doesn't
work has been filed as a trac ticket: